Today is Give to the Max Day in Minnesota, which means all of your favorite nonprofits will be reaching out and
begging asking for your support.
MinnPost is one of a handful of nonprofit news organizations. We’re committed to forging a new way of doing journalism — one that is focused on community, not on the bottom line. This means that we rely on support from our readers and members.
If you’re able, please consider throwing $10 our way.
MinnPosters Corey, Kaeti, Brian and Stephanie posing for an awkward photo (we’re watching a funny cat video, naturally).
After 10 days, our member drive is finally over. We beat our goal by 74 percent, gaining 435 new donors — including many local community leaders, big names in media like Bill Moyers, and, best of all, lots of our Tumblr friends.
We’re tired and ready for the weekend, but mostly we’re grateful. Your support means everything to us. We couldn’t exist without it.
Conservative people like us, too.
Can you steal any more ideas from MPR? sustaining member campaign = litigation
A comment on our post, Welcome to MinnPost’s first sustaining member campaign
In answer to his question, how about a comedy variety hour called, “Wait wait … could you speak up a bit?”
This week, MinnPost is having our first-ever member drive.
For as little as $5/month (or whatever size annual donation you’re able to give), you can help support our mission of quality, nonprofit journalism.
So if you dig our Tumblr coverage of politics, Minnesota, urban affairs, the arts and more, please consider pitching in.
Everyone BT Turner is doing it.
Free Tax Preparation by AccountAbility MN
This looks like a great service.
- We provide free tax preparation and financial services at 13 sites in St. Paul, Minneapolis and the suburbs.
- We serve individuals making $30,000 or less per year and families making $50,000 or less per year.
- Interpreters are available for Spanish, Hmong, Somali, and Oromo languages.
During 2010, AccountAbility Minnesota and our statewide partners:
- Identified and filed for $35.6 million in refunds for taxpayers in Minnesota.
- Enlisted the help of 791 volunteers who donated 27,132 hours filing 44,299 returns.
- Assisted 19,775 taxpayers statewide in filing taxes, free of charge
- Connected 637 unbanked customers to new credit union and bank savings accounts and 293 customers to Express Refund Loans across the state.
- Provided services at 12 tax sites in the Twin Cities, all located in the hearts of the communities we serve.
- Spoke 15 unique languages, allowing us to best serve our highly diverse customer base.
While AAM is not the only organization providing these services, they are a valuable and ethical resource for tax services. Please pass this along to anyone who may be interested in receiving services OR volunteering/donating. Thanks!